Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Strawberry Jam!!

So my sister and I saw a man selling strawberries on the corner today so we decided to buy two flats worth of them! We then went to the grocery store and got (12) 8oz. jam jars and made freezer jam!!!! :) It was our very first attempt!!! It is even sugar-free!!!! Take a look at our beautiful jam! It is amazing how great we felt making something!!! Not only is it homemade... BUT it is super inexpensive. Check out the details:
  • $0.10 for Sucralose granular sugar substitute
  • $1.00 for Strawberries
  • $0.17 for pectin sure-jell (no and low/sugar variety)
  • $0.58 for freezer safe quilted crystal jelly jar 8oz.
Total per jar of jam: $1.85 or 12 jars for $22.20!!!

I am such an amateur homemaker with a passion to learn more. We are now going to baby step our way up to actually canning something! LOL not just the freezer jam stuff! LOL LOL Wish us luck! Take a look at the pics! Let me know if you have any tips for canning or freezer jam! :)



It was a lot of fun to make this stuff.... AND even more fun to eat it on the pancakes we had for dinner!

Have a great night all!

1 comment:

Nancy K said...

I love jam and jamming! I've never done freezer jam, but I do cooked jam and the inversion method to seal it. Totally works and seems much easier than a pressure cooker, etc. I'm still working up the guts to move on from jam -would love to can beans or applesauce. You go girl!